Friday 13 June 2014

Precious Little Talent - Why this Monologue Questions

Q1: It worked to my playing age because Joey is a young woman, with a free spirit, yet pessimistic view point of the world that lulls her into the false impression that some things just aren't 'enough'. Her age isn't too far-fetched from my own and is within reach as I am soon to be applying for University. Joey is fresh out of University and about to account on life as an independent adult, unlimited in the world. My casting to her character was appropriate because of my height and maturity (in a way) I am able to play someone older.

Q2: I related to this piece because I feel I have some of the same pessimistic viewpoints as Joey herself to loss and love and therefore felt I could be more truthful and honest in the portraying of her character. The themes in the text of loss and love and futility of life were interesting and meaningful to explore as the idea of what is 'enough' that we settle for could be debated through Joey's character. The piece interested me because I was able to draw upon my own experiences in life, like the loss of a loved one, and a desire to move to another country and lack of money with bad jobs, therefore it was fun to use those emotions to relate to Joey's character.

Q3: The emotional journey of the piece started with thoughtful realisation and then journeyed and built to frustration and sadness. Anger and bewilderment occurred next and then a strong, persuasive  and independent front from Joey in reaction to Sam, finally ending with self-realisation and character development. This showed a complicated and non-direct journey which is why I found it interesting and fun to explore and play.

Q4:Use of stillness was appropriate and developed because it showed a more honest monologue that exposed true feelings. Using voice in a projected manner at times when angry and frustrated revealed the raw feelings of a natural character when you just cant sit still because of annoyance. With breath control, I used pausing and played on breath when upset so the audience could just sit on the emotion with my character and focus on the moment and feelings. Clarity of thought was used and magnified at the beginning in answer to a question from another character and therefore was shown through facial expression and eye line level.

Q5:My research helped by looking at reviews of the play and finding out what characteristics of Joey were attributed and important to other critics. Researching the context and location/setting of the play really helped because I could understand the underlying things Joey was having to deal with and give a more honest and truthful contemporary performance e.g. her Dad's disease and death, love for Sam, the crumbling economy, being broke, coming straight out of Uni and futility of her experience.
Watching a few clips on YoutTube too made me make different creative decisions in terms of knowing what I didn't want to do and then also taking and using some ideas from other candidates because I thought they were valid and made understand  certain sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment