Wednesday 11 June 2014

Why I chose Precious Little Talent

This monologue highly appealed to me and stood out from the rest specifically because of how relateable it is to myself. Joey is a cynical, pessimistic, girl, trying to escape England and panicking over her crumbling father, much like me at what point in my life, so it was interesting to explore the repeated ideas and thoughts that I once had, yet through a different character and therefore mind set and intentions.

Secondly, I like that the monologue itself has a journey. The false hope and sarcastic nature of it twists and fools the listener in a way or character it is spoken to (Sam in this case), all the while cruelly acknowledging to the listener that it is a pessimistic speech and therefore cannot have too happy an ending. It keeps the audience on edge slightly and really draws them in to the thoughts, feelings and dramatic, yet upsetting experiences of Joey's character.

No comments:

Post a Comment